Telehealth services are medical and mental health services provided through real-time audio and video technology. Many people use these services if they suffer from chronic conditions, live in rural areas without easy access to medical care, or if they need medical attention without leaving home, work, or school. These services offer a wide range of emotional benefits and have helped countless patients find the help they need.
Although telehealth services are nothing new, they’ve recently become a popular way to seek mental and medical attention around the nation. Thanks to benefits such as improved access to care, increased convenience, and better communication between patients and providers, many people have reported improved health outcomes and fewer feelings of depression, isolation, and anxiety.
In this guide, we’ll briefly discuss how telehealth services have become some of the most popular ways of seeking medical attention. We’ll dive deep into the many emotional benefits of calling these services and explore how they continue to provide care to individuals around the nation.
What are Telehealth Services?
Telehealth services are medical and health services provided remotely using telecommunications technology. This includes methods like video conferencing, the Internet, email, and phone calls. Telehealth services have been around for many years, but they have become more popular in recent years as advances in telecommunications technology have made them more accessible and affordable.
Telehealth services can be traced back to the 1950s when doctors first established a closed-circuit link between the Norfolk State Hospital and the Nebraska Psychiatric Institute, allowing for remote psychiatric consultations. Since then, the industry has grown to include the Suicide Hotline, TelaDoc, GoodRx, and several other industry-leading services.
Emotional Benefits of Using Telehealth Services
Telehealth services have been used by both medical and mental health specialists to provide quality care to patients around the country, regardless of their location. The remote aspect of these services has helped to provide much-needed care to populations that live outside of standard service areas. Yet, telehealth services do more than provide physical help, they also offer emotional benefits.
During the height of the COVID-19 lockdowns, telehealth services saw a massive spike in calls as individuals feared going to hospitals or clinics. Among these services, though, the mental health sector saw the highest number of requests.
According to findings published in Telehealth and e-Medicine—an academic journal dedicated to the field—telehealth services played a massive role in helping individuals cope with isolation, depression, and anxiety as they found themselves stuck at home. Without these services, many people would have suffered without support.
Beyond direct mental health interventions, though, telehealth services provide many benefits. Wellness services can completely change someone’s life. Here are several benefits that someone who needs support can experience:
- Reduced stress – Stress is a root cause of many health issues. When we’re stressed, we find it harder to concentrate, sleep, or eat. We may also behave in ways that hurt our relationships, such as making careless comments or snapping at others. Using telehealth wellness services can help you alleviate stress and feel calmer. You can talk through your situation and develop a plan to physically manage stress.
- Increase self-esteem – If you have low self-esteem, you may believe that you’re not good enough, that you don’t deserve happiness, or that you’re unworthy of love and respect. Telehealth wellness services can help you increase your self-esteem by teaching you how to love and accept yourself. You can learn how to set healthy boundaries, communicate effectively, and build healthy relationships.
- Feel more connected – When we’re struggling with health issues, we can start to feel isolated and alone. We may withdraw from our friends and family and stop participating in activities we enjoy. When you use telehealth wellness services, you can connect with others who understand what you’re going through, find support, feel less alone, and learn to build and maintain healthy relationships.
- Find purpose – Many people feel as if they’re just going through the motions like they have no purpose in life. When you use telehealth wellness services, though, you can learn how to set goals and achieve them. You can also learn how to find fulfillment in your relationships, work, and hobbies.
- Improve physical health – Mental and physical health are closely connected. When we’re struggling with mental health issues, we may neglect our physical health. We may not eat healthily, we may not exercise, and we may abuse substances. When you use wellness services, though, you can learn how to take care of your body and heal.
With just a simple phone call, you can quickly start the path towards emotional growth and physical healing.
Telehealth services offer more than just easy access to remote healthcare. They also offer a wide range of emotional benefits and continue to help individuals grow, heal, and find purpose in their lives. You can heal energetically through effective telehealth services. The COVID-19 pandemic alone showed just how important these services are and proved that individuals benefit physically, mentally, and spiritually through telehealthcare