Low Carb, Gluten-Free, Paleo Chili
February 24 is National Chili Day. Celebrate some great taste with this delicious chili recipe. Vegetarian and meat options available!
What you need:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium-sized onion, diced
2 medium bell peppers, any colors, diced
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 large carrots, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 1/2 pounds ground beef (or meat alternative)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
3 cups broth – 2 cups for a thicker chili
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
Juice of one lime
Salt and pepper to taste
How to make it:
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat with olive oil. Add your diced onions, celery, carrots, peppers, and garlic and sauté for about 10-12 minutes, occasionally stirring, until veggies are tender and onions are translucent.
- Add ground beef, or meat alternative, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper. Stirring occasionally, until meat is browned. If there is a lot of fat in the pot, drain some off.
- Next, add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Stir it in until spicesare fully immersed in the ingredients.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes, broth, andadd the bay leaf. For a thicker chili start with 2 cups of broth instead of 3. Bring up to boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, and until veggies are quite soft and soup has reduced slightly. The longer you let it simmer the more the flavors will stand out!
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and the juice of one lime.
- Serve topped with cilantro, diced red onion, avocado, jalapeño, and extra lime wedges if desired. Enjoy National Chilli Day!
990 Highland Drive, Suite 110-Y Solana Beach, CA 92075
Monday : 8:30 AM - 6:30 PM (Entrainments: 10-12PM & 3:40-6PM)
Tuesday: 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM (Entrainments: 11AM-2PM)
Wednesday: 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM (Entrainments: 10-12PM & 3:20-5:20PM)
Thursday: 10:30 AM - 6:30 PM (Entrainments: 12-1:20PM & 3:40-6PM)
Friday: 9:30 AM - 2:30 PM (Admin Only)
Saturday: By Appointment Only