Protect your Little One's Spine this September
Back-to-school time can cause kids additional stress on their nervous system. There are a lot of new stressors surrounding them and different things to navigate. That is why we should try to support and minimize this impact on their bodies.
Wearing backpacks properly can significantly reduce pressure from building up in their spines and their back muscles.
Weight distribution is vital.
Here are our top tips to help protect your little one’s spine and nervous system this September.
- Check the weight before allowing them to carry them. It shouldn’t be more than 10 to 20% of their overall weight.
- Use a backpack with a waist and shoulder belt to distribute the weight evenly.
- Tighten the straps so that the backpack rests closely to their back.
- Make sure they understand the importance of using both straps at all time.
- Encourage them to use their lockers more, getting books and supplies on their lunch break and leaving items in the locker overnight if they don’t need them at home.
- When picking up the backpack, show them how to lift with bent knees to support their back better.
- Place all heavy items closest to the center of the back.
Early intervention is critical to avoid long-term problems if they are having trouble with their back. Book an appointment with us if you’re worried about your child’s posture, nervous system, or bag weight – we can help.
Get In Touch
990 Highland Drive, Suite 314 Solana Beach, CA 92075
Phone: (760) 487-8106
Monday : 8:30 AM - 6:30 PM (Entrainments: 10-12PM & 3:40-6PM)
Tuesday: 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM (Entrainments: 11AM-2PM)
Wednesday: 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM (Entrainments: 10-12PM & 3:20-5:20PM)
Thursday: 10:30 AM - 6:30 PM (Entrainments: 12-1:20PM & 3:40-6PM)
Friday: 9:30 AM - 2:30 PM (Admin Only)
Saturday: By Appointment Only